Hi. I am new to actually posting on the board, but not to checking in from time to time. My son is starting kindergarten and has a severe peanut allergy as well as a tree nut allergy. I just met with the school nurse and his teacher to discuss his plan. They wanted to know if we was ingestion only or contact as well. I didn't know how to answer that, as the only experience we've ever had with him is ingesting a PB M&M nearly four years ago. They said if it was ingestion only, peanuts and peanut products will be allowed in the classroom. Regardless of what it is, processed or manufactured in products will be allowed at all times. I am completely appalled. Is this the norm? School starts in two days and I was not prepared for this ridiculousness. Also, the teacher told me that they will be making gingerbead cookies the first day and they will "run away" out of the oven for the kids to find them. After they search around, they will find them and get to eat one. She said I should send something in for him to eat that day. Am I wrong to find this completely inappropriate? It's my son's first day of school and already he will be excluded from the fun. Needless to say, I came home bawling from my meeting, but now I'm a little fired up and ready to stand up to this nonsense. Any veterans care to help? :)
Related Community Posts
Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.
Stay on top of your allergy with the latest news, lifestyle tips and recipes.