No reaction to Reece's Pieces candy?

7 replies [Last post]
By quiz1 on Fri, 11-13-09, 20:42

Hi-

New to the forums. Not so new to son's diagnosis, but am sad to say I am realizing we need to take his allergy more seriously, so am trying to learn all I can about how to keep DS safe.

He recently ate a leftover Reece's Pieces candy from a coin-operated candy machine at the local pizza place. He usually asks before placing almost anything in his mouth, but at least he told me afterwards that he ate it....

I gave him his Benedryl and proceeded to take him to the ER where he didn't have a reaction. We, along with his allergist, are a bit puzzled.

Anyone else have experience with this candy?

Thanks for your response and for these forums!

Groups: None
By kalelpeanut on Sat, 11-14-09, 00:26

Hi, Almost the same thing happened with my son, but he almost die. Here is a link for the story.

http://www.peanutallergy.com/boards/general-discussion/allergic-reaction...

__________________

Mother of three beautiful kids.
Boy(7) No allergies. Boy(4) Fatal allergy to peanuts and allergic to tree nuts and eggs. Has asthma. Girl(1) Egg, peanut allergy and eczema.

Groups: None
By lakeswimr on Sat, 11-14-09, 15:13

It sounds like your child has either outgrown or is outgrowing the allergy. Peanut-allergic children can't eat things like Recess (except maybe your child might have reacted if he had eaten just a few more in which case this would indicate your child is on the way to outgrowing.) I'd talk to your allergist about doing an in office food challenge.

Groups: None
By quiz1 on Sat, 11-14-09, 16:44

Doing a food-challenge scares me to death! Would a food-challenge be a better test than another blood test?
Kalelpeanut, your story is so eeriely similar to mine, DS has asthma too. Ugh. So glad to hear your son is okay.
I'm skeptical about DS outgrowing peanut allergy based on what allergist always tells me - it's highly unlikely, it could get worse, not better, etc. but I guess anything is possible.
DD goes in for a food-challenge for nectarine soon, I'll ask about DS then.

Groups: None
By BestAllergySites on Sat, 11-14-09, 21:00

quiz1-I'm glad your son is okay and did not have a reaction. It's a little hard to give an absolute answer not knowing all of the details.

It's possible that he is outgrowing. (Has he had severe reactions in the past to peanut protein?)

It's also possible you were lucky in this one instance.

And it's possible that he has a peanut allergy but needs more peanut protein ingested to have a severe reaction.

Food allergy is a tricky thing. No reaction is an indicator of a subsequent reaction and "most" allergies can be severe at any time.

My point is, I believe it's possible he is still allergic and just didn't have a reaction this time.

Also--are you sure he ate a Reese's and did you see him do it? How old is he?

Young kids are not always reliable. My 6 yr old has never had a Reese's and wouldn't know what it was. They are easily confused between M&M's.

I would consider retesting. We personally test annually on both skin and blood. And I'd do both. And I would also consider a food challenge based on the test results and this experience.

But I would only do a food challenge in a hospital setting with a Dr. who knows what he/she is doing.

Best of luck and let us know what you learn..and welcome to peanutallergy.com!

Ruth

__________________

Ruth LovettSmith
Founder of http://www.bestallergysites.com/
Your Food Allergy and Gluten Free Guide, and the largest Internet directory of allergy related companies, sites, and blogs.

Disclaimer: I'm a food allergy advocate and mom of a food allergic child. I am NOT an allergist. My comments are based on my research and experiences. Please speak to your doctor regarding medical concerns.

Groups: None
By lakeswimr on Sat, 11-14-09, 21:12

How was your child diagnosed? What past reactions have you seen to peanut ingestion? If your child can actually eat some peanuts with no reaction that means your child's allergy *isn't* on the more severe end of the spectrum. Either your child can tolerate small amounts or your child has outgrown the allergy. Yes, reactions can and do change and past reactions are only a general indicator of future reactions but reactions are generally dose dependent. The variation of severity of reactions is usually based on the amount consumed.

Most peanut allergic people could not eat any Recess pieces. A good % would react to having their food touch Recess pieces. So, this is a good sign.

Reactions trump test results.

I'm curious what your doctor was basing telling you that your child won't outgrow on. Was it based on past reactions or test results or both?

Groups: None
By quiz1 on Sun, 11-15-09, 22:27

Hi-

So far, 5 yo DS has had 2 blood tests that came back over 100% positive for peanut, the skin test was one of the largest reactions seen in that office.

So far, he's proven to be pretty tolerant despite his level of allergy. He's ingested a very small amount 2x now without reaction and other than the initial exposure, he's had 1 ingestion that started anaphylaxis. So, yes, I'm thinking it may be dependant on the amount ingested as to whether he has a severe reaction.

I was initially skeptical (although still concerned) that he actually ate the Reese's but I confirmed with the owners that the candy in the jar my son pointed to was Reece's and DS said on the way to the hospital that he ate the "M&M" but it WASN'T CHOCOLATE!!, in a very animated and surprised voice. It was funny although I wasn't in the mood to laugh right at that time.

I can't remember exactly when he had his last blood test but I will probably go ahead and see if I can get another test after the new year.

Groups: None
By BestAllergySites on Fri, 11-27-09, 23:15

Let us know how it turns out.

I want to point out that while the allergy at this time might be dependent upon how much is ingested--keep in mind that this can change at any time.

Allergies get better and worse over time. There are often noted specific changes at onset of puberty and during other hormonal shift.

So just be cautious and be prepared because the allergy could get better-but it could also get worse without warning.

__________________

Ruth LovettSmith
Founder of http://www.bestallergysites.com/
Your Food Allergy and Gluten Free Guide, and the largest Internet directory of allergy related companies, sites, and blogs.

Disclaimer: I'm a food allergy advocate and mom of a food allergic child. I am NOT an allergist. My comments are based on my research and experiences. Please speak to your doctor regarding medical concerns.

Groups: None

Peanut Free and Nut Free Directory

Peanut-Free/Nut-Free Directory

Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.

Close x

Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.

Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.

Email

PeanutAllergy.com Social

 

Poll

Where do you get your peanut allergy information?
The internet
20%
My allergist
60%
Friends or family
20%
Other
0%
Total votes: 5