Curious if you think this was a reaction?

3 replies [Last post]
By BeyondAPeanut on Tue, 06-02-09, 18:22

My son had a severe anaphylactic episode at 14 months. Since then we have been extremely vigilant and he has not had another exposure. Last week I received a call from the babysitter that his eyes were both very swollen. She did not know what from only that they were playing outside. I thought he may have seasonal allergies and told her to give him some Benadryl.

That was around 11:00 a.m. When I got home at 4:30 p.m. the under part of his eyes were still very swollen. My daughter later told me that the new neighbors had peanut butter crackers and were playing with the same chalk and toys as Ryan. It is very possible that he rubbed his eyes. He has not had this kind of reaction to anything outside before.I guess what surprised me about this (and I feel lucky) was that the reaction was localized. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this type of localized swelling under the eye area.

__________________

Peanut Allergy Education in a "FLash". Products to empower children with food allergies, and teach those caring for them how to provide a safe environment.

www.beyondapeanut.com
Education . Preparation . Awareness

Groups: None
By BestAllergySites on Tue, 06-02-09, 18:46

beyondapeanut-

Most contact reactions are localized. They can be more severe when when on an open cut, sore, or eyes, nose, mouth contact.

My son has had reactions similar to what you described above by touching/rubbing his eyes, but has also had more severe reactions from touching/rubbing his eyes as well.

I'm guessing is has to do with the allergen in question and the amount of protein on the child's hands at the time.

It's possible it could have been peanut butter from the crackers or it could have been from chalk dust, dirt, etc. on his hands that irritated his eyes.

Depending on whether he is airborne allergic or not-I think it's highly unlikely he had a reaction just from being around the kids that ate the peanut butter. Ie: he more than likely rubbed his eyes at some point.

Hope that helps. I'm glad he is okay!
Ruth

__________________

Ruth LovettSmith
Founder of http://www.bestallergysites.com/
Your Food Allergy and Gluten Free Guide, and the largest Internet directory of allergy related companies, sites, and blogs.

Disclaimer: I'm a food allergy advocate and mom of a food allergic child. I am NOT an allergist. My comments are based on my research and experiences. Please speak to your doctor regarding medical concerns.

Groups: None
By Ashley5473 on Sun, 07-19-09, 22:21

To me it sounds like he probably touched the chalk and his eyes and got peanut protein in them :-( I think that that kind of swelling is unlikely if his eyes were just irritated from the chalk dust...unless he is really sensitive like that do dust and such...

Groups: None
By MagnificentMel on Mon, 08-02-10, 03:18

I have an extreme PA, and i touched a desk that someone who had eaten a pb sandwich had touched and didnt realize it until after i had rubbed my face and experienced major swelling for days.

Groups: None

Peanut Free and Nut Free Directory

Peanut-Free/Nut-Free Directory

Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.

Close x

Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.

Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.

Email

PeanutAllergy.com Social