Login | Register

Dora Cinnamon Stars cereal

11 replies [Last post]
By dulcinea on Fri, 12-08-06, 14:43

Last night my almost-4-year-old son vomited suddenly and profusely about 30 minutes after eating this cereal. He was totally fine before and after; that is, he doesn't have a virus.

It was the first time we'd tried that particular cereal, and everything else he ate yesterday were things he's eaten before without incident. I read the label thoroughly before giving it to him and there were no allergy warnings. He's allergic to peanuts and eggs only.

I will call General Mills today, but just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Vomiting is his typical reaction to consumption of eggs. (It's happened about 4 times -- twice before we knew he was allergic.) His reaction to the few accidental exposures to peanuts has been facial hives and itching, which was controled with Benadryl -- never vomiting.

The allergist performed a scratch test of 80 items on him when he was 2. Could she have missed something - say, cinnamon?

Here are the list of ingredients of this cereal: whole grain corn, corn meal, sugar, corn bran, modified corn starch, canola and/or rice bran oil, corn syrup, salt, calcium carbonate, cinnamon, dicalcium phosphate, trisodium phosphate, baking soda, then a bunch of added vitamins and minerals.

Kim

Groups: None
By PennMom on Fri, 12-08-06, 14:52

Yikes! I had called GM about this cereal about a month ago- but only questioned PA/TNA allergens. My daughter has eaten it several times since then with no problems- but she doesn't have reactions to eggs (knock on wood). Please post what you find out. I hope your son feels better today!

Groups: None
By tidina on Fri, 12-08-06, 15:29

my sons reaction twice to peanuts was vomiting and nothing else needed.

Groups: None
By dulcinea on Fri, 12-08-06, 15:45

I just remembered that my son eats cinnamon graham crackers and apple pie with cinnamon, so there goes that theory. It must have either been cross contamination or a reaction to an unknown allergen (a preservative, perhaps)?

I called GM and they said if there were a possibility for cross contamination, they would label.

One of the mysteries....

Groups: None
By tidina on Fri, 12-08-06, 15:48

my son has vomited in car from choking on food. we got new tests done and they were negative. maybe he has my car sickness thing. did he choke on it at all. you are right though, you may never know???

Groups: None
By caryn on Fri, 12-08-06, 18:00

was he tested for corn? -- that cereal is loaded with it -- my son is allergic to corn so it is the first thing i saw.

Groups: None
By dulcinea on Fri, 12-08-06, 19:10

To tell you the truth, I don't know what all he was tested for. 80 common allergens, that's all I know. But I'm sure he's not allergic to corn, as he eats it pretty often.

Perhaps he just choked on his saliva. Again, this happened about 30 minutes after eating the cereal, and after brushing his teeth, so there was nothing in his mouth. We were reading a bedtime story, and he started coughing, then ran to the bathroom and threw up in the toilet. No hives, no fever, nothing. He didn't even cry. Perhaps he's just got an overly sensitive gag reflex.

In any case, just to be safe, I'm not giving him the cereal any more. Thanks, everyone, for responding! It's nice to have someone to "talk" about these things with. I'm new to the board.

Groups: None
By SFMom on Fri, 12-08-06, 20:22

Does the label on the cereal say anything about "may contain" or "manufactured in" a plant with nuts? Or soy?

Sometimes people who are allergic to peanuts also are (or become) allergic to tree nuts. Peanuts are a legume, and so is a soybean. My kids are allergic to peanuts and soy.

Just curious if the label has any other warnings on it.

My daughter has vomited 20-30 minutes after she eats anything containing peanuts. So it sounds a bit suspicous to me.

------------------
Two daughters, ages 10 and 13 who are allergic to peanuts, soy, all legumes, most tree nuts, and a few antibiotics.

[This message has been edited by SFMom (edited December 08, 2006).]

Groups: None
By mommyofmatt on Sat, 12-09-06, 11:23

Hmmmm.

A few weeks ago my milk, egg, and peanut allergic ds tried the Dora cereal for the first time. Got redness around his mouth, and possible (?) very slight lip swelling.

He got his nightly Zyrtec and complained his lips hurt. I checked on him often, and he was fine.

We haven't had the cereal since.

My ds isn't allergic to corn, he eats corn chips, pop corn, etc. And he did have one other problem with a GM cereal, Kix (again loaded with corn so go figure) a long time ago where he scratched at his throat until raw twice. Each time was from different boxes.

It's a mystery to me. We do eat plain and Apple Cinnamon Cheerios no problem. I hadn't tried any other GM cereals after the Kix incident until Dora since I was now sure he isn't allergic to corn. And he had a problem again.

I haven't contacted General Mills because I have in the past, and I knew what they'd say...

So, that's our story. Meg

Groups: None
By starlight on Sat, 12-09-06, 16:28

Quote:Originally posted by mommyofmatt:
[b] And he did have one other problem with a GM cereal, Kix (again loaded with corn so go figure) a long time ago where he scratched at his throat until raw twice. Each time was from different boxes.
[/b]

My dad works for a food store, and I can't tell you how many times in the past that Kix had been recalled due to peanut traces. It hasn't happened again for a long time, so I think GM probably changed their manufacturing practices with that cereal.

Don't know what to tell you on the Dora cereal though. The burning and redness mommyofmatt described could have been from the cinnamon, because the stuff is very harsh (practically burns my tongue off).

But the vomiting..not sure about that. A couple of thoughts aside from the cereal itself: You said he brushed his teeth, could he have accidentally swallowed a boatload of toothpaste? Or could the milk the cereal was in have gone bad? Hope you figure this out, not knowing what happened is the worst.

Groups: None
By pitterpat on Tue, 12-12-06, 00:49

Both of my dds eat dora cereal fairly regularly without any problems. I don't have an answer, just thought I'd toss that out fyi.

Patty

------------------
Patty
mom to
Sara (7/02) allergic to pn, grass, trees
Julia (9/04) asthma and allergic to eggs? & nuts? (no testing, just reactions)

Groups: None
By dulcinea on Tue, 12-12-06, 17:24

No, the box doesn't say anything about the possibility of traces, and the GM person I spoke to said if there were any possibility, it would be labeled such.

So, it remains a mystery. He did not swallow toothpaste because we've been working on that and I watched him brush. The milk was fine because my other son drank it, so I give up.

When he was tested for pa he came up negative for allergy to tree nuts and soy but the allergist recommended avoiding tree nuts anyway, which we do. He eats soynut butter and jelly sandwiches daily.

Whatever it was, thankfully, no harm was done. I appreciate everyone's concern!

Groups: None

Peanut Free and Nut Free Directory

Our directory is highlights our favorite products for people with peanut and nut allergies.

Close x

Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.

Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.

Email