Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.
- What is a Peanut Allergy
- Foods to Avoid
- The Allergic Reaction
- Recognizing and Treating Anaphylaxis
- Epinephrine Auto-Injectors
- Medical ID Bracelets
- Support Groups
Peanut Free and Nut Free
Other Food Allergies
Do NOT Fly on Alaska Airlines (follow-up)
After a discussion with the director of Consumer Affairs at Alaska Airlines, I learned the following:
1) Although Alaska Airlines reservationists may take down your request for a peanut-free and/or nut-free flight, they have no back-up snacks to offer passengers during the flight. (No pretzels, no goldfish - nothing.) I was told that passengers complain when they don't get peanuts so they will keep serving them. Doesn't sound like they take PA very seriously, does it?
2) Alaska Airlines makes the same speech as other airlines about not guaranteeing a peanut/tree nut free flight because other passengers may bring these foods on board, etc... But what they failed to say is that due to crowded airports forcing last minute gate changes, whatever catering truck is nearby and NOT necessarily the one with the peanut/tree nut free food will load your plane. Your food request is secondary to what is easiest for the catering trucks to do. I guess this explains why unsafe foods (peanut butter cookies, nut bars)were on both of our flights even though we made repeated requests.
3) Despite a vague familiarity with PA procedures on other airlines (peanut free zones, etc.), Alaska implements none of them.
Various Alaska Airlines employees suggested that our 5 year old wear a mask for the entire flight which would rule out eating or drinking several hours. They also suggested that we take their first flights in the mornings (6:30 a.m.)when the plane is "clean." Do they really think I'm going to wake our daughter at 4 a.m., slap a mask on her, and not let her eat nor drink for hours?
So if you or a family member has PA, stay safe and fly another airline!
Subscribe today and receive a handy one-page guide to peanut-free snacks!