Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2006

No replies
By bethc on Thu, 12-07-06, 15:21

This is a standard medical reference book. I used to use it at times in my library work in the past. It defines the basic medical conditions, their diagnosis and their standard treatment.

I was looking up a couple of things in it at the library yesterday and read the section on anaphylaxis. It might explain why some Drs. don't believe you're having an anaphylactic reaction to peanuts if you don't have hives. It defines anaphylaxis as a skin reaction (hives, swelling &/or itching) with multiple body systems involved. It considers the skin involvement a necessary part of the diagnosis, if, as a non-medically-trained person, I'm reading it right.

Everything else looked right to me as far as causes, incidence, treatment. But I think maybe modern medicine isn't entirely caught up when it comes to the ways that anaphylaxis can present. Any Drs. or nurses here want to comment? I wish I had it in front of me to read, but I seem to remember that dropping blood pressure and/or shock were given a lot of emphasis in the diagnosis as well.

Groups: None

Peanut Free and Nut Free Directory

Peanut-Free/Nut-Free Directory

Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.

Close x

Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.

Email

PeanutAllergy.com Social