(College) Student dies
[b]Student dies from brain hemorrhage[/b]
Memorial service planned for this afternoon
Chelsea Merta | IDS | 9/18/2007
A 17-year-old IU student passed away early this morning, from what appears to have been a brain hemorrhage caused by a severe allergic reaction to something he ate.
Police responded to a medical assistance call at McNutt Delgado early Sunday morning when freshman Kareem Bacchus' roommate called the police, IU Police Department Captain Jerry Minger said.
"He had informed his friends that he was having an allergic reaction to something he ate at Malibu Grill," Minger said. "When the symptoms became worse very quickly, they called for help."
Bacchus was known to his friends at IU as a very talented and socially engaged student, Dean of Students Dick McKaig said. "He was elected vice president of McNutt, was very involved in coordinating the 9/11 memorial at McNutt and was a direct-admit student to Kelly School of Business."
A memorial service is planned for today from 4-7 p.m. in the Indiana Memorial Union Gregorian Room, hosted by the Muslim Student Union, of which Bacchus was a member.
MSU President Myeda Hussain encourages everyone who knew Bacchus to attend to remember him and to honor his memory.
"We hope that those who knew Kareem will come to celebrate the life and tragic departure of a young, wonderful person," Hussain said.
Hussain also said that the family requests that friends honor Bacchus by not creating Facebook groups online. Many family members still do not know of Bacchus' condition, Hussain said.
Counselors from Counseling and Psychological Services will also be available at the memorial service to assist students coping with Bacchus' death.
Related Community Posts
Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.
Stay on top of your allergy with the latest news, lifestyle tips and recipes.