Login | Register

Chick-Fil-A uses peanut oil

10 replies [Last post]
By afking on Mon, 06-11-07, 13:25

I recently noticed a note on the drive through menu at Chick-Fil-A that said, "We use refined peanut oil for all of our cooking."

I was shocked. We have been eating at Chick-Fil-A for years. I asked the person at the window if this was new or if they have always used peanut oil. He said that they have always used it, but he was a young kid and might not know any better.

The thing is, my daughter is allergic to peanuts but she has eaten chicken nuggets from Chick-Fil-A probably once a week or every other week for years. I don't understand why she does not have a reaction.

Any ideas?

Groups: None
By Greenlady on Mon, 06-11-07, 15:36

Hello and welcome! Highly refined peanut oil has very low levels of peanut protein and many allergic people do not react to it.

My son, unfortunately, does react to it so we avoid it. Others choose to avoid it even though there are no "objective" symptoms just in case the low levels of peanut protein are causing unseen effects, such as making it less likely that a child will outgrow an allergy (this is a subject of controversy).

You should consult with your doctor, but if your child has never reacted, then I'd think its a matter of what your "comfort zone" is on whether you avoid it.

Here's a message thread that talks about this more:

[url="http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum16/HTML/000262.html"]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum16/HTML/000262.html[/url]

Hope this helps!

Groups: None
By Pebbles Mommy on Mon, 06-11-07, 18:43

Chick Fil A has always used peanut oil. They cook everything in it. I know that the refined oil is suppose to be somewhat safe, but I have had reactions so now I just totally avoid the place. This is hard because before being diagnosed, I lived on Chick Fil A, now in heinsight I know that I was having minor reactions to eating there, but again this was prior to my diagnosis.

------------------
Peanut, Tree Nut, Shellfish, Mushroom, chemical allergies

Groups: None
By afking on Mon, 06-11-07, 19:30

I guess we will have to forgoe Chick-Fil-A for a while and see if she has any change in allergies. She has other seasonal allergies and I may have been mistaking a mild reaction to the peanut oil as hayfever. Thanks for the input!

Quote:Originally posted by Pebbles Mommy:
[b]Chick Fil A has always used peanut oil. They cook everything in it. I know that the refined oil is suppose to be somewhat safe, but I have had reactions so now I just totally avoid the place. This is hard because before being diagnosed, I lived on Chick Fil A, now in heinsight I know that I was having minor reactions to eating there, but again this was prior to my diagnosis.

[/b]

Groups: None
By ilismama on Tue, 06-12-07, 01:45

my daughter had eaten chicken nuggets at Chick-fil-A before we realized the severity of her peanut allergy...since her one & only (thank goodness) reaction we have avoided anything fried. we do still go there (she loves the play area & they have a lot of local fundraisers there) but now everyone in the family purchases ONLY the chargrilled chicken wrap w/fruit instead of fries. you might want to check w/you local restaurant but i was assured this was a safe alternative. & usually they'll throw in the kids toy she's missing out on by not being able to purchase the kid's meal.

Groups: None
By afking on Tue, 06-12-07, 13:31

Good point! I'll check with them. That was one of our sad concerns as well. The kids love the play land there. When I told my daughter last night, she actually got teary eyed about it. Did your daughter react to the chicken nuggets at Chick Fil A?

Quote:Originally posted by ilismama:
[b]my daughter had eaten chicken nuggets at Chick-fil-A before we realized the severity of her peanut allergy...since her one & only (thank goodness) reaction we have avoided anything fried. we do still go there (she loves the play area & they have a lot of local fundraisers there) but now everyone in the family purchases ONLY the chargrilled chicken wrap w/fruit instead of fries. you might want to check w/you local restaurant but i was assured this was a safe alternative. & usually they'll throw in the kids toy she's missing out on by not being able to purchase the kid's meal.[/b]

Groups: None
By maddiesmom on Wed, 06-13-07, 00:02

My DD ate at Chick-Fil-A MANY times before she was diagnosed with peanut allergy at 18 months old. I used to get her the nuggets at least 1-2x a week and we didn't even know she had allergies. She loved them and almost lived on them as a toddler. Once she was diagnosed after her reaction on an airline, I told the allergist that she had been eating the nuggets cooked in peanut oil and no reaction. He also explained the process of the heat taking out the proteins-but it still surprises me that she could eat them and not even get hives or react to them. Very weird seeing how she is SO sensitive now at the age of 8-touch/smell allergic to all nuts.

We miss chick-fil-a and now get it when DD isn't around! love the waffle fries too! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img] oh well.

Groups: None
By afking on Wed, 06-13-07, 13:30

So tell me. I'm a novice at this. What do DD and DS stand for?

Quote:Originally posted by maddiesmom:
[b]My DD ate at Chick-Fil-A MANY times before she was diagnosed with peanut allergy at 18 months old. I used to get her the nuggets at least 1-2x a week and we didn't even know she had allergies. She loved them and almost lived on them as a toddler. Once she was diagnosed after her reaction on an airline, I told the allergist that she had been eating the nuggets cooked in peanut oil and no reaction. He also explained the process of the heat taking out the proteins-but it still surprises me that she could eat them and not even get hives or react to them. Very weird seeing how she is SO sensitive now at the age of 8-touch/smell allergic to all nuts.

We miss chick-fil-a and now get it when DD isn't around! love the waffle fries too! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img] oh well. [/b]

Groups: None
By 2BusyBoys on Wed, 06-13-07, 13:49

Quote:Originally posted by afking:
[b]So tell me. I'm a novice at this. What do DD and DS stand for?

[/b]

Dear Daughter
Dear Son

Groups: None
By afking on Wed, 06-13-07, 13:52

Thank you so much.

Quote:Originally posted by 2BusyBoys:
[b]
Dear Daughter
Dear Son[/b]

Groups: None
By ilismama on Fri, 06-15-07, 15:30

afking:
DD never reacted to the chicken nuggets. we didn't realize that Chick-fil-A used peanut oil when she first started eating there, even though we already knew about her being PA. we found out at 3 months there was a strong possibility! and avoided peanuts -but weren't strict w/it until she was older & we realized the severity of the situation.

Groups: None

Peanut Free and Nut Free Directory

Our directory is highlights our favorite products for people with peanut and nut allergies.

Close x

Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.

Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.

Email