Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.
- What is a Peanut Allergy
- Foods to Avoid
- The Allergic Reaction
- Recognizing and Treating Anaphylaxis
- Epinephrine Auto-Injectors
- Medical ID Bracelets
- Support Groups
Peanut Free and Nut Free
Other Food Allergies
My 3yo daughter seems to have a peanut allergy to me, but
My 3yo daughter seems to have a peanut allergy to me, but the allergist's testing seemed to indicate no allergy at all. How can this be?
At nearly a year old I gave her a small peanut butter sandwich (her brother's favorite snack at the time). She never actually ingested the peanut butter but she broke out in red blotchy hives everywhere that it touched her and part of her lip swelled up. I mentioned it to the dr. at her 1 year check up and they told me to avoid all peanut products with her and when she turned 2 we would do allergy testing.
Last year I finally got an epipen and a referral for the allergist. They performed the scratch test on her back. It seemed to me that she did react to the peanuts (and to sesame as well). Those patches turned just as red and puffy as the histamine control spot did, but they felt that she didn't really even have a strong enough reaction to the histamine either. SO, they sent us out for the blood work version. That test was completely negative, and the allergist said that test never has false negatives. He did recommend bringing her in for the challenge test, but we never had the chance while the referral was still valid due to the delays from his office in getting back to us. Also the though of her actually eating the peanut butter with such a severe skin reaction scares me (this was also about the time the girl at camp died from her peanut allergy at camp - was all over the news).
Well, now our epipen is expired and I fear that we won't get a new one because of those negative tests. I did a small skin test on her tonight. I put a little peanut butter on her back where she couldn't reach it. No reaction. But then I put a little bit right beside her lip, about 20 minutes later there was a raised red rash that spread a bit but was mostly gone in about another 20 minutes. I took pictures to show to the doctor, just like I did the first time. I will still avoid all peanut products with her as well. Just wondered if anyone else had any similar experiences, and whether they ever truly figured out if your child is/isn't allergic.
Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.
Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.