Can Blood Transplants Give or Take Away Deadly Peanut Allergy?
So I have been deadly allergic to peanuts since I was 7 years old. I actually grew up eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Then one day I overreacted to a sausage from Denny's that had peanut filling "to make it look thicker".
When I was 19 I was in a terrible collision. It broke nine of my ribs... you get the idea. I went to the hospital and they had to give me a blood transplant. Now I can hardly remember this because of the medication, but supposedly, in my next destination I was given a candy that I said, "Hey dad, this tastes like peanut butter."
This place was not the hospital, it was a retirement home. I was there for therapy, I know it's weird and unconventional. Small towns are the worse for helpfulness. Anyway, my dad had me spit it out and I guess I instantly forgot. I was lying in bed. I don't think I so much as attempted to rinse my mouth. Hours went by and no bodily overreaction.
So now I'm wondering if a blood transplant can cause someone to no longer have an allergy? Can it give someone an allergy? Or is it possible that pain medications prevent allergic reactions? Did I not react because I didn't swallow the candy? I've been lost and confused when I think about this event. I thought I would ask for expert advice.