Sonic restaurant milkshakes not peanut safe!
I wanted to alert you all of a scary situation that happened to me today and hopefully you can avoid it in your life.
I have had a PA for my entire life. I do all things possible to avoid peauts and nuts and have not had to use my epi-pen (Thank goodness!) I never go to Sonic (fast food chain), but happened to pass by it on my way home and decided to stop for a milkshake. I have had plenty of of milkshakes in my 30 years of life from fast food restaurants and never had a problem.
I ordered a strawberry milkshake, paid and went on my way. I was driving and a quarter of the way through mynshake when i felt something odd in my mouth and immediately tasted peanut! I spit out the nut and the shake in my mouth. Thankfully I was near a local hospital so I pulled into the parking lot just in case I were to have a severe reaction.
I investigated the item I spit out and determined it was either a small amount of peanut covered in chocolate or peanut butter covered in chocolate. I think because the drink was frozen it prevented the whole shake from being contaminated. Of course I threw out the rest of the shake, and called Sonic to report what happened and the severity of the situation.
The manager offered for me to go back and get a new strawberry shake as well as a refund for the one I bought. I politely (or not so politely) declined and said I would never be returning to a Sonic.
The moral of the story is that Sonic either reuses the scoops for ice cream or does not properly clean the mixing machine between shakes. I am lucky that I did not swallow the peanut and only had a localized reaction in my mouth which went away with 2 Benadryl.
Please please please be cautious! And only go to restaurants that do not reuse mixing materials between shakes.
Thank you for reading.
Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.
Stay on top of your allergy with the latest news, lifestyle tips and recipes.