New and nervous
I am turning 50 next month and have recently become allergic to peanuts. Amazing! But I can believe it because I live with other Auto Immune conditions such as Celiac. I understand that these allergies, etc. are triggered after so many exposures. It's just amazing how it turned on so quickly. One day making my kids PB sandwiches. I eat a spoonful and start breaking out in hives, numb lips, itchy eyes and tight throat in 15 mins. I took benedryl and was fine. Two days later I made them PB sandos again, but didn't eat any. I had an even worse reaction from just breathing the PB fumes!
My skin test was not conclusive. No bump, but there was a red dot. My doc says that considering I have celiac and am also reacting to dairy, sesame, tomatoes I will probably become more reactive to peanuts as time goes by. He said I should be cautious at all costs. So I travel with an Epi pen and bendryl now. And there are no peanut products in my house and my family is also peanut free now.
BUT I have some questions...
Just how careful do I have to be in public, especially since I react to the smell. How do I go grocery shopping? What if someone is snacking on peanuts in the checkout line or an aisle I'm in? How do I go the farmer's market? How do I go to a friend's party or the county fair?
I'm going to Disneyland in a couple of weeks too. I know they are stellar about supporting food allergies. (I've been before on my celiac diet.) But how careful do I really need to be? Do I need to bolt if I'm standing in line for a ride and someone breaks out a peanut type snack? Ask them to put it away?
I am really nervous about just living my life now. Especially because I react to the smell. HELP!!!!
Related Community Posts
Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.
Stay on top of your allergy with the latest news, lifestyle tips and recipes.