So my son got the OK for Xolair. He's 21 and a Junior in College.
We found out that our insurance pays 20% so the Xolair will cost us $599.00 per month. Two injections per month.
DH said go ahead and do it. I am astounded that we will have to give up EVERYTHING in order to pay for the Xolair. DH says we won't but I can see it getting really tough in the future.
I told DS what his dad said and I promised him I'd try to find out if the drug company can help us pay for the Xolair.
DS called me today and said "Mom I don't want the Xolair. I've done this well for 21 years, I know how to manage. I'd rather not."
I said "even if we can get financial assistance?"
DS said he's got a BIG RESPONSIBLE job as RA (resident assistant, actually called Community assistant in his program.) next year at college, he has a tough schedule this and next year and no car. Getting back and forth the maybe 90 miles to get the injection twice a month is going to be almost impossible. I mean I'll do the driving until he can get a car but jeez the Xolair might be his car too. He decided he'll give it a try after graduation, where ever he ends up.
I have to applaud him this tough adult decision. He knows what Xolair can do for him but he also knows his life is too crowded now besides the financial hardship.
I think DH is just afraid to tell him no, knowing what Xolair could do for him but financially it would ruin us right now.
So no Xolair. I mean to write a nice letter to the wonderful doctor who got us approved. I'm proud my son made such a big decision. I wish it were cheaper and easier to obtain but maybe some day in the future.
Related Community Posts
Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.
Stay on top of your allergy with the latest news, lifestyle tips and recipes.