Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.
- What is a Peanut Allergy
- Foods to Avoid
- The Allergic Reaction
- Recognizing and Treating Anaphylaxis
- Epinephrine Auto-Injectors
- Medical ID Bracelets
- Support Groups
Peanut Free and Nut Free
Other Food Allergies
? able reaction
My son had a possible reaction at school last week. He was given the epi first, then they called 911. The EMT's arrived first, then me , the medics from the hospital. It was really questionable whether it was a true reaction or not. I could tell that the 6 guys were all looking a bit puzzled. I let them give benedryl and rode with ds in the ambulance to the hospital. The ER doc said it didn't look like a typical reaction to him...but he couldn't say that it wasn't either. DS seemed fine....he was observed for a while and then we took him home. DH went back to the school to question everyone.
I really have no answers...and we haven't changed anything that we are doing .. I figure if it really was a reaction we will know soon enough.... so here is what happened..
a piece of banana bread was put on a table behind my son...about 18 inches away. The bread was made in a facility that processes peanuts. DS did not touch or eat it. (so we think) the children had not started to eat it either.
the teacher heard my son cry - he was covering his nose...he said that his nose hurt...he had a lot of mucos and started crying and turning red...they took him out of the room...the aide attending to him said his face was red, she offered him water he refused, he started shaking and teeth chattering (it's not cold here) and she looked on his chest, legs and back and said that there were red spots on his back and now his scalp was red. She gave the epi. When I got there...within 5 mins of the epi he was not red....he had no marks..he seemed fine...but a little shaky. My first sense of doubt was from looking at the emt's and medics reactions and my son looked fine.
So IF he reacted...he either ate a piece of that bread...the teachers were horrified when we suggested that might have happened... or he could be airborne sensative and if that's the case I guess we will know soon enough because he will react again. i just don't know what to do with that "possiblity".....I don't want to make major changes when we are pretty uncertain that a reaction happened at all. DS had had a virus and was also being uncharacteristically emotional...he had also been complaining about his legs/knees hurting that morning - which could just be from growing -he's a tall kid.
So i am posting to see if this rings any bells with anyone....if I have missed anything or if you think I am looking at this the wrong way or if there are questions that I need to be asking please please let me know.
Our current comfort zone is that we feed him nothing that is shared lines or facilities with peanuts. He has no other allergies and mild excema. All food he eats is from me. But I would hate to limit his contact with the outside world based on an inconclusive reaction.
oh...and the next day...he was as chipper as ever!
my thoughts are that I should start a food log...report this to his allergist...and make sure that I communicate to his teachers if he is the slightest bit "off"
I really apprecaite any thoughts on this.
Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.
Stay on top of your allergy with recipes, lifestyle tips and more.