Autoimmune Apple Pie Recipe + Autoimmune Thankgiving Menu Planner
Thanksgiving is only a week away! I’ve been enjoying working on a new menu planner that is autoimmune friendly and works with Dr. Kharrazian’s autoimmune diet protocol. My family has also been enjoying it because I have had to test a lot of recipes, especially this new apple pie recipe. It took me a few times but once I got it right, my husband just about devoured it.
Did I mention that the apple pie and all the other recipes on this menu planner are free of grains, dairy, nuts, eggs, seeds, sugar, and sweeteners other than low-glycemic fruit and some stevia? My husband loves (regular, gluten and sugar-filled) apple pie so he was the ultimate taste tester. I actually can’t believe he loved it so much!
Here is the new recipe for Apple Pie with Coconut Apple Crust! Happy Thanksgiving!
Autoimmune Apple Pie with Coconut Apple Crust Recipe (GAPS, Paleo, Autoimmune)
This pie is autoimmune-friendly but even my husband who is an apple pie connoisseur loves this recipe. It is best to make the pie ahead of time so that it has time to cool down as the crust will firm up as it cools. You can use pears, peaches or berries in place of the apples in this recipe. You could use pear sauce in place of the applesauce. Enjoy!
4-5 apples, peeled and sliced thin
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
2/3 cup creamed coconut, softened (I used Nutiva Coconut Manna, but you can also use Artisana coconut butter or Tropical Traditions creamed coconut)
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
2 tablespoons coconut flour
10 drops stevia
1 dash sea salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 tablespoons gelatin
2 tablespoons cold water
2 tablespoons boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Place the jar of creamed coconut in a bowl of boiling water until soft. Or, scoop out 2/3 cup creamed coconut and heat in a small saucepan over low heat. Watch carefully as it will burn. Remove from heat once it is soft.
2. Peel and slice the apples. Place them in a bowl and add the lemon juice and spices. Stir until well combined. Place into a pie pan, spreading them evenly over the bottom.
3. In a medium mixing bowl combine the softened coconut butter, applesauce, melted coconut oil, coconut flour, stevia, salt, and 3/4 tsp. cinnamon.
4. Add the gelatin to a small bowl and add the cold water to it. Stir well. Add the boiling water and stir until clear. Add this mixture to the apple-coconut mixture. Stir mixture well.
5. The apple-coconut mixture is the crust for the pie. Evenly pour it over the apples in the pie pan and spread evenly over the apples.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until crust is golden and firm and the apples are cooked through.
7. Crust will be very soft when first out of the oven. Pie crust will become more firm as it cools. Enjoy!
Autoimmune Apple Pie
New Autoimmune Thanksgiving Menu Planner
Here is the line-up of the new autoimmune Thanksgiving recipes. All recipes are free of the following foods:
- nightshade and starchy veggies
- nuts and seeds
- sugar and sweetners (some stevia is used)
- high-glycemic fruit
- any other food not allowed on the autoimmune protocol
- Apple Turkey Sausages
- Spaghetti Squash Hashbrowns
- Breakfast Pumpkin Cookies (fruit-sweetened)
- Apple Cinnamon Coconut Pancakes (Egg-free)
- Roasted Turkey
- Cornish Hens with Apple Gravy
- Salmon with Charmoula Sauce (nightshade-free)
- Butternut Squash and Creamed Spinach Gratin
Cranberry Jello (fruit sweetened)
- Mashed Cauliflower with Rosemary and Garlic
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Onions
- Roasted Asparagus
- Cranberry Jello (Fruit Sweetened)
Pumpkin Pie or Pumpkin Custard (I made mine crustless but this pie goes great with the coconut crust)
Desserts: All desserts are free of nuts, eggs, seeds, sugar and other sweeteners except low-glycemic fruit and some stevia.
- Apple Pie with Coconut Apple Crust
- Autoimmune Pumpkin Pie or Custard
- Autoimmune Berry Pie
- Coconut Pie Crust (nut-free)
Berry Pie (again, we aren’t crust fans but this pie can easily be made with the coconut crust)
What does the menu planner include?
- All the recipes listed above
- A detailed shopping list
- Access to all other Thanksgiving recipes and planners available on the membership site
The new Autoimmune Menu Planners along with the Autoimmune Thanksgiving Menu Planner are all available on the membership site. To access the menu planners, please become a member to the site.
I hope you enjoy this apple pie! Happy Thanksgiving!
Autoimmune Apple Pie with Coconut Crust
Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free peanut-free snack guide.
Stay on top of your allergy with the latest news, lifestyle tips and recipes.