Our directory is intended as a resource for people with peanut and nut allergies. It contains foods, helpful products, and much more.
- What is a Peanut Allergy
- Foods to Avoid
- The Allergic Reaction
- Recognizing and Treating Anaphylaxis
- Epinephrine Auto-Injectors
- Medical ID Bracelets
- Support Groups
Peanut Free and Nut Free
Other Food Allergies
Is It Safe to Feed Your Dog Salted in the Shell Peanuts?
Peanuts are a nutritious food, but skip the shells
Peanuts are loaded with protein and a variety of vitamins and minerals, and most dogs love the peanut flavor. Peanut butter is often an ingredient in dog biscuits, dog treats and snacks, and veterinarians sometimes recommend giving medications in pill form to a dog mixed in a little bit of peanut butter. Many vets give a thumbs up to peanut butter as an occasional snack for a dog, but the shells of the legume should not be fed to canines. Dogs can also develop a peanut allergy and have problems if they are allergic to peanuts.
Dogs should not be fed peanut shells
The reason why peanut shells should not be fed to dogs is because they are full of a lot of fiber and can be difficult for a dog to digest. The shells may cause Fido to develop a stomachache if he is not able to easily digest them. Another reason why it is not good to feed peanut shells to dogs is because the shells can have mold called Aspergillus flavus on them that you may not be able to see. The mold produces aflatoxinm, which is a very toxic substance and should not be eaten by dogs or humans. Your dog can develop gastrointestinal problems if he eats it.
Dogs can be allergic to peanuts, just like humans
Although it is rare for a dog to be allergic to peanuts, it is possible. Food allergies can suddenly appear, even if your dog has been eating peanuts as a treat for a while.
Symptoms of peanut allergies in dogs
The first sign that your dog could be allergic to peanuts is if he is scratching his skin and biting his legs and feet. Dogs can lose patches of hair and their skin can become infected if they scratch and bite their skin. A trip to the vet is the only way to know if the scratching could be one of the peanut allergy symptoms. Vets usually recommend that you eliminate foods from the dogs diet that could be causing the allergic reaction. It is also possible for the dog to have a blood test to see if he is allergic to peanuts.
Save yourself some trouble, and don't feed your dog salted in the shell peanuts
Most vets agree that dogs should not have peanut shells. With so many other treats, including peanut butter or peanuts, it is probably best to skip the peanut shells with your dog.